Sunday 2 October 2011

Yay! I have a vegetable garden!

I am so excited to finally have a veggie garden, I love growing my own food, it is so satisfying and it tastes so much better! So my lovely husband built it for me and I did the rest...

I was going to get a kit set wooden garden from Bunnings for $78, luckily we had a look at the wood prices, we ended up getting fence pales for only $3.50 per 1.8m, so the whole garden only cost $17.50!! 
Next step, I added a few bags of compost (so smelly) and potting mix. Then I put down some stepping bricks to make it easier to access the garden. Next step, I hammered three stacks into the ground for my trellis.
Finished garden! I have to say I am very proud of myself! 
So we have beans, radish, lettuce, leeks, spinach, tomatoes and broccoli, yum! When I got the six pack of leeks I thought it was just six, wow was I pleasantly surprised, they were all stuck together and turned out to be about 30 plants!
 Delicious climbing beans!
Radish, one of my favourites! So good roasted, then added to a salad with steamed carrots, fresh tomato and coriander finished with a white wine vinegar dressing (2 parts olive oil to 1 part white wine vinegar, some honey, salt and pepper)
Tomatoes, I just hope we don't have a frost!
I have watered it and laid a few snail pellets, I would love to know if there is an alternative to using pellets? I had to put up a make-shift chicken netting fence so the kids don't eat them!
Well I can't wait to get cooking with my yummy veggies, I will add some more photo's when it's looking gorgeous!

 
 

1 comment: